[Asterisk-Users] Re: [asterisk-biz] iDEFISK (mac iax2 softphone) release

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Wed Feb 1 01:00:51 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 15:18 +0800, Dinesh Nair wrote:
> On 01/31/06 15:37 trixter aka Bret McDanel said the following:
> > symantic differences but not a lot in terms of performance.  Because the
> > systems are close enough its mapping stuff more than creating a virtual
> > machine.
>
> the "mapping stuff" doesnt always work the way you think it does. while
> most linux binaries seem ok when run under linux emulation on freebsd, some
> of them do crash for weird reasons. the linux flash plugins usually crash
> mozilla quite regularly on my notebook, for instance.

are you running the linux mozilla?  That may be the problem where you
are trying to mix given that there is IPC stuff going on between flash
and mozilla..

> > so it should be fairly trivial to do.  Its more a matter of recompiling,
> > and there are a lot of groups/individuals that dont like to do that for
> > every BSD variant...  If all you have is the linux binary you may want
>
> the three major bsd variants, netbsd, openbsd and freebsd, share enough
> similarities that porting such things is only needed once. porting between
> the three *BSD variants for userland applications is usually trivial.

Right why I said its more a matter of recompiling.  Even from linux to
BSD is generally trivial for most applications (some network stuff can
be a bit odd becuase the structure names in the include files can be
different why linux has __USE_BSD and __FAVOR_BSD to try to use the BSD
names in things like IP/UDP/TCP headers and all - not something most
programs do).

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378