[Asterisk-Users] Re: [asterisk-biz] iDEFISK (mac iax2 softphone) release

Dinesh Nair dinesh at alphaque.com
Wed Feb 1 00:18:46 MST 2006

On 01/31/06 15:37 trixter aka Bret McDanel said the following:
> symantic differences but not a lot in terms of performance.  Because the
> systems are close enough its mapping stuff more than creating a virtual
> machine.

the "mapping stuff" doesnt always work the way you think it does. while
most linux binaries seem ok when run under linux emulation on freebsd, some
of them do crash for weird reasons. the linux flash plugins usually crash
mozilla quite regularly on my notebook, for instance.

> so it should be fairly trivial to do.  Its more a matter of recompiling,
> and there are a lot of groups/individuals that dont like to do that for
> every BSD variant...  If all you have is the linux binary you may want

the three major bsd variants, netbsd, openbsd and freebsd, share enough
similarities that porting such things is only needed once. porting between
the three *BSD variants for userland applications is usually trivial.

dinesh at alphaque.com                (0 0)    http://www.alphaque.com/