[asterisk-users] WIFI SIP- The Best phone

Matthew Mackes mm at webmail.deltasoniccarwash.com
Sat Dec 30 21:41:45 MST 2006

Well, We have found that it will stay on line for around 6-7 hours with
a full charge and no talk time, and we can get about 2 hours of straight
talk time. We have given these units to our cashiers that are located
out in parking lots, and our location mangers who walk a large location
(Outside and Inside) and they are able to carry a phone for about 5
hours if they talk on it for a total of an hour during that time without
charging. Our goal is to replace our current Radio's that we use for on
site communications.

Over all, I have been very happy with the charge vs talk time.... So
much so, it hasn't ever been an issue.

We have around 280 phones out at our locations at any one time, 150 in
use...... So, for every phone we have in use, I have a spare waiting in
a charger... that way a phone is always waiting in case.

However I have only had to do that because we run a 9am until 11pm day,
and our staff requires 100% phone uptime while they are on the move. Our
managers until recently carried company issued cell phones- however with
the full corporate move to Voip, Asterisk, Aastra Desk  Voip phones and
the Zulty WIP 2's I have had to ensure 100% uptime by throwing hardware
at the project.

However we really don't need allof the  redudent units, my users are
just a bit unreasonable. Their cell phones don't have any better talk
time then the Zultys. However by connecting all of our locations with
Voip over our PRN (Quest) we have been able to save so much on Telco
Charges that I have a large budget Available to keep us up- Hence the
overkill

However--- For a Normal Office

At our Headquarters I have also deployed about 25 of these phones to
normal Cube workers, and they have NO trouble with them.

They put them in the charger when they think of it, and they always have
a charged phone...  They only need one, and it replaced the Desktop
Digital Nortel phone they used to have. They can take it to any of our
locations, and boom, instantly on line with the same Number, Extension
and services.....

And Since we are in 3 States, we use several collocated Asterisk Servers
to create a Private Toll bypass network of Voip. Illinois, NY and
Pennsylvania are all local PSTN calls no matter what state you are in.

Also, if you are interested, we use a Alcatel Wireless Controller unit
to provision, route, and control our 600 + Alcatel Wireless Access
Points. Because all of the AP's are routed back to one controller, it
helps with all IP roaming, not just WIFI Voip.

I have also used Cisco 1200 AP's and those also work very well.

I just wish I could find a DEPENDABLE service for DID and Termination
via SIP.... I current am working with Vitality, and they are so, so.

I hope that helps.

Matt Mackes
Delta Sonic Car Wash Systems