[asterisk-users] Asterisk and MiniITX setups

Doug Lytle support at drdos.info
Fri Dec 29 09:04:58 MST 2006

Mark Greene wrote:
> Doug,
>
> This is a great price but I have a couple questions, as I am not very
> savy with these systems. When you say, replace the ROM chip, what do
> you mean by that? Replace it with another ROM chip, and how would I go
> about learning to program one, etc.

Instead of a hard drive in the unit, it has Windows CE burned on ROM.
The chip plugs into the unit with a standard 44pin connector.  You can
pull the chip, but a laptop cable and plug in a laptop hard drive.  From
there, I have a USB DVD drive that I used to install Mandriva 2007.

> As for the PCI riser card, I do not see that there would be room or
> even a slot for a pci card in the system you linked. to.

I has 1 PCI slot, HP sells a riser card and a slightly larger case cover.

> My last and most important question is, can an 800 mhz chip handle
> much of a load at all for asterisk once you put a PRI or FXO/S card in?
>
> I would love to pursue this.

I haven't put it to the test, but I personally think 800mhz with 512mb
of memory and a 30gb 5400rpm drive would do just fine.  They do have
faster models though, I've seen up to 1ghz.  I have photos of my unit if
you'd like me to send them to you off list.

Doug

--
Ben Franklin quote: