[asterisk-dev] Re: [asterisk-users] How accurate is show translation?

Tim Panton tim at mexuar.com
Fri Dec 29 04:55:30 MST 2006

On 23 Dec 2006, at 08:47, Dinesh Nair wrote:

> On 12/23/06 09:51 Leo Ann Boon said the following:
>> I would love to hear how others are using the results from show
>> translation in system dimensioning. So far, I feel that
>> dimensioning an Asterisk box is still mostly guesstimation :).
>> Currently, I'm using the 30MHz per call rule to dimension.
>
> on a Pentium D 2.80Ghz, we've sustained 300 simultaneous IAX2 calls
> terminating in a dialplan loop that answers the call, waits 2
> seconds, plays demo-instruct and loops again.
>
> a cursory examination revealed that a large portion of the CPU was
> used to handle NIC interrupts. occasionally we got a chan_iax2.so
> error which said,  "Maximum trunk data space exceeded to..."
>
> this seems to be controlled by the MAX_TRUNKDATA constant in
> chan_iax2.c which is set to 40ms of SLIN for 200 calls. it'd be
> nice to know what this constant is for and what would the
> implications of increasing it be.

I'm interested in this, our IAX softphone SDK is licensed by the
_server_ and customers ask how
many calls they can push through a server. I'm currently saying
'about 200' with decent hardware.

Could you tell me which asterisk version you tested this on ? Also
how many of these calls
were over trunked IAX and how many 'normal' ?

Thanks _very_ much.

Tim.

Tim Panton

www.mexuar.net