[asterisk-users] [OT] Wifi SIP phones - LinkSys WIP330

Alban albanast at free.fr
Fri Dec 29 01:25:18 MST 2006

We tested several Wifi phone in an asterisk install: Hitachi 3000, 5000,
UTstarCom F1000, and Siemens SL75WLAN. We needed roaming between 6 AP,
encryption, and a reasonnable battery.

The only one covering all the needs is the Siemens... And the cheaper also.
Here are some conclusion:
	- Hitachi phones (3000 and 5000) work well with roaming, difficult to notice
when the phone switch from one AP to another. But: as soon as you use WPA,
not possible to be used: 3 or 4 seconds of delay!!! Batery is also a problem.
	- UtStarCom cannot handle roaming.
	- Siemens behaves very good in such environment. Roaming works well, without
and with WPA. Battery duration is the best from those few phone but still not
really good: standby time is around 48hrs when the phone is located close to
the router, but in normal usage onfiguration (continous roaming between 6AP,
a few calls - 5 to 10 calls during 5hrs), the battery is empty after 5 hrs.

The siemens phone can be find in German web site, so no problem to buy it
there from France, where I'm located...

Hope these small lines would be helpfull for others.
Alban