[asterisk-users] 1.4.0, IMAP and Dovecot

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Wed Dec 27 12:53:38 MST 2006

On Wed, Dec 27, 2006 at 10:44:10AM -0800, Dan Austin wrote:
> I thought I would give the new IMAP support a spin on my home
> server, but without much luck so far.
>
> Asterisk 1.4.0
> Dovecot 0.99.14
> Maildir format
> C-client 2006d

Not that I can be of much help, but:

what is your MAILBOX env. set to in dovecot.conf?

> The imap server is also the Asterisk server, so connections are
> on the localhost.
>
> The error posted to the logs is:
> IMAP Error: Can't open mailbox
> {127.0.0.1:143/imap/authuser=root//user=dan_austin}INBOX: invalid remote
> specification

What exactly passes on the wire? Can you get a dump of the session?

I have a feeling that the imap client is supposed to take this string
and interpert it into some parameters.

> Digging in the code and the c-client documentation the '//' is where
> additional flags would go.  I've tried a number of the flags supported
> by the c-client library, but the results are the same.
>
> Has anyone managed to get IMAP working in Asterisk with Dovecotas the
> backend?

One useful tool dovecot borrowd from uw-imapd is "pre-authentication":
you can use the binaries in /usr/libexec/dovecot to start an imap (or
pop3) session with the permission of the relevant user.

authuser=root ?

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org