[asterisk-users] Question about MWI in Asterisk 1.4.0

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Mon Dec 25 19:09:44 MST 2006

Hello

I am running the following setup in order to make VoIP calls at home.

Home Phone <-> SPA3000 <-> Asterisk Home <- IAX2 over Internet <->
Asterisk Office

The voice mail for Home Phone is hosted on the Asterisk Office
machine. I wanted to have a way to check the status of my voicemail on
my home phone directly. In order to do so, I've patched both Asterisk
Home and Asterisk Office to add new sets of command allowing to check
the MWI on the remote asterisk (so I see a nice voicemail icon on my
home phone).

This adds the possibility to configure which remote voicemail is going
to be checked on a regular interval.
So on the Asterisk Home machine, in the sip.conf file, for the entry
used with the SPA3000, I have something like:
mailbox=IAX2/hydrix/500

Which means that voicemail will be checked on mailbox 500 over the
IAX2 channel named hydrix.

Patching Asterisk so somewhat of a pain as I have to recreate a new
patch quite regularly.

Does Asterisk 1.4 introduce new capabilities allowing to remotely
check the MWI on a remote machine like what my patches are doing? In
the list of changes for 1.4.0 I read "SIP MWI subscription support",
what exactly is this ?

Thanks
JY