[asterisk-users] Need quality toll free 800 number over IAX?

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Sat Dec 23 10:19:44 MST 2006

Vicky <vicky.r at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have 3 toll free did's with nufone since 1 month .. Until now i dont have
> a problem with them .. their portal was good enough to do proper
> configuration and call quality wasnt bad  ( even though i havent used them
> in really huge traffic  yet ) .

The reason for the warning is to get people to move before they start to
have problems.  I'm sure everything will work for a while (perhaps for
years), but when you have a problem - perhaps an sudden deterioration or
complete outage at NuFone itself, you'll find out just how difficult it
is to get a helpful, or even just polite, response from their "support"
department.

You might find that you have no service through no fault of your own,
and have no way to fix it yourself.  Usually a threat of "fix it or I'll
take my business elsewhere" tends to work, but if you do follow up on
that then NuFone will rob you of any outstanding call credit you have
in your account.

You'll find lots of examples of this if you search around.  I ignored
the warnings because the service was working at the time, and I didn't
think I'd ever need to contact their "support" department.  Don't make
the same mistake.

Here are a few references I found with a five-minute Google search.
There are lots more where these came from:

    https://forum.voxilla.com/other-providers/nufone-severe-problem-service-9548.html
    http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Nufone
    http://www.shakataganai.com/index.php?/archives/163-NuFone.html
    http://hansgrueber.blogspot.com/2006/01/nufone-sucks.html

There are loads of examples in the various mail list archives.
Here are a couple:

    http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-biz/2004-December/001468.html
    http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-biz/2004-December/001457.html

As you have only had the DDIs for a month, you could get away with simply
going elsewhere and using new numbers (use up your call credit first).
If you have vanity numbers, or you want to keep them for some other reason
then I wish you good luck getting NuFone to help you port them to your
new provider.

The bottom line is that you are free to use whichever provider(s) you
like, but please be aware of the high likelyhood of having severe
service difficulties with NuFone.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz