[asterisk-users] SNOM 200 behind NAT and other xmas woes

Brad Templeton brad+aster at templetons.com
Sat Dec 23 03:02:18 MST 2006

I decided to give the whole family IP phones for christmas,
all hooked into my asterisk server, so all the nephews can
have their own lines.

However, one of the phones I got was the SNOM 200.  That's worked
fine for me on my own network, but I'm having bad luck getting
it to work behind NAT talking to Asterisk.  It talks to my
termination/origination provider, which seems to ruthlessly ignore
SDPs and send audio to the address it gets audio from, which works
pretty well behind NAT.

I've tried all the various NAT settings on the SNOM 200 (with
the last firmware rev they made) but reports are that's broken.
The SDPs and Contact headers it sends out are always the natted
address, even if I tell it to use STUN or static or UPNP etc.
If the nat traversal is broken not much I can do on that end.

Asterisk, on the other hand, should be handling this with nat=yes
on the channel, but it's not.   It handles it for the SIP packets,
responding to those on the address the requests came from (ignoring
the contact header) but it seems to accept the SDP, which contains
and address Asterisk can't see.

The docs say nat=yes will fix addresses in SDPs.  I'm running svn
trunk from a few days ago.

Is there a way to get Asterisk to send audio to the address the
incoming audio comes from, or to take the SDP and replace the
IP address in it with the IP address the SIP came from?  Otherwise
while the phone will be able to make PSTN calls, it is unable to
call Asterisk for voicemail and the rest.

----------------------

Some other issues:

Anybody tried to use vbuzzer with Asterisk with an IVR on the DID?
I find when I do this, after the IVR connext to an extension, the
reinvite Asterisk sends to vbuzzer is responded to by a very simplified
200 state response which Asterisk seems to get upset at.  Asterisk
immediately hangs up the channel, but nothing in the debug logs (even
level 9) seems to say why.   I will use another DID for now.

Also, I bought an SPA-2000 on ebay that claimed to be unlocked.  It
isn't.  I will probably get my money back but that's not going to help
at christmas.  Anybody know a way to unlock these things at the hardware
level (shorting pins etc.)  The factory reset codes all demand a PW, which
means it's locked.  Web access disabled too.  I have a Cisco ATA 186
but they only do NAT traversal with a static address, no STUN etc.

I may end up setting up the SNOM and replacing it if no other solution
shows up.