RE: [asterisk-users] spandsp 0.0.3 RxFax fax =?ISO-8859-1?Q?_reception crashes bristuffed_asterisk_1=2E2=2E13_[?= Virusgeprüft]

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Wed Dec 20 10:07:49 MST 2006

>Does IAXmodem allows you to receive faxes with any extensions
>(auto-detecting incoming faxes).

You just let Asterisk do the fax detection for you, and when it hears CNG,
send it to the fax extension, and your fax extension would just Dial() one
of the IAXmodems (using IAX)

>>DRi at b-w-computer.de wrote:

>> sure in an small office you can use iaxmodem/hylafax to receive faxes
>> - we use it for sending faxes, but would you try to set up about 100
>> iaxmodems inside hylafax if you can handle it directly inside asterisk
>> with rx_fax and a small script ?

>Yes, I would, actually use 100 iaxmodems instead.

>Lee.

I second that. After struggling with rxfax (which was total cake to set up,
but reception reliability in my specific installation was poor) I bit the
bullet and put in a separate Hylafax server connected to my Asterisk box
with a crossover cable, rolled up my sleeves, and stated making IAXmodems -
1 per user. I am at over 200 IAXmodem's, and my failure rate on faxes
plummeted to about .8 % - more than comparable to a regular fax machine.
AFAIC, Hylafax + IAXmodem is the way to go for anything serious, unless we
are talking about thousands of users and thousands of faxes per day. I don't
even know what could be scaled to that scenario and not be unmanageable.