[asterisk-users] What web interfaces are available today for debian based Asterisk installation?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Tue Dec 19 15:57:13 MST 2006

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 11:33:55PM +0200, Maxim Veksler wrote:
> On 12/17/06, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com> wrote:
> >On Sun, Dec 17, 2006 at 07:07:07PM +0200, Maxim Vexler wrote:
> >> Hi list,
> >>
> >> It's been a while since I've done asterisk stuff, and I'm wondering if
> >> there any news in the field.
> >>
> >> What do you people use today for http management of debian based Asterisk
> >> setup?
> >> Preferably something with the proven ".deb" extension.
> >
> >"destar" has a "tar" extension, but a prefix quite similar to "Debian".
> >Availble in Etch.
> >
> >FreePBX is not yet availble, though a Sarge-based CD that includes it
> >and generally works could be downloaded from
> >http://updates.xorcom.com/iso/rapid-current.iso and the package is
> >availble from
> >
> >  deb http://updates.xorcom.com/rapid future main
> >

> Hi Tzafrir,
> Thank you!
>
> I am aware of both of these tools, I don't like them!
> They make absolute changes in your /etc/asterisk/* files, they assume
> that they are the only thing you will be using for managing your
> asterisk pbx and they are both totally unfriendly to 3rd party
> changes.
>
> Are there any other tools then, perhaps some that has not been debianized
> yet?
> I'd like something that could be more cooperative with user hand made
> changes.

You refer to direct addition of content to the cnfig files. But this is
not the only way to affect the output.

If you consider those interfaces to be "code generators", you can
manipulate their inputs (the mysql database in the case of FreePBX, the
set of pthon ojects for DeStar) or the generator itself (patch the
code).

Sometimes patching the code is trivial (e.g: disabling a line from being
generaed). Sometimes it's more complicated.

I'm quite pessimistic regarding tools that are supposed to tolerate any
sort of manual override with Asterisk's configuration. At least tools
that are aimed to give a simplified/more powerful user interface rather
than a glorified text editor with macros.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com