[asterisk-users] MWI, Realtime SIP, Voicemail and Extensions, UAs registered with SER

kjcsb kjcsb at orcon.net.nz
Mon Dec 18 17:21:43 MST 2006

I have the following setup:
- UAs registered with SER/OpenSER
- SIP peers (non cached), extensions, voicemail setup (not message storage)
defined in Asterisk 1.2 using Realtime

When a message is left in the user's mailbox, no Notify message is sent to
SER.

1. If the SIP peer is defined in sip.conf with a host=ser.domain.com then
the notfy is sent to SER.
2. If realtimecache=yes is set in sip.conf and the SIP peer is visible with
sip show peers and the SIP peer host field is set to ser.domain.com then the
notify is sent to SER.

I have read numerous articles regarding this including:
- the posting
http://www.asteriskguru.com/board/need-help-for-voicemail-notification-vt535.html
refers to a patch noted on http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+at+large.
The patch is listed under Method 3, which relies on sip peers being defined
in sip.conf i.e. it doesn't work for non cached realtime.
- Method 1 of http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+at+large describes a
way to send the Notify direct to the SIP UA. This relies on the phone
contact details (e.g. IP address) being defined in sip.conf - not applicable
in my case.
- Method 2 of http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+at+large relates to SIP
UAs registered with SER and states that Asterisk sends NOTIFY only to UACs
that are registered at the Asterisk. This is not the case as described in 1
above and Method 5 of Asterisk-at-large.
- Method 4 of http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+at+large assumes cached
SIP realtime peers. I don't want to cache.
- the posting http://forums.digium.com/viewtopic.php?t=4363&highlight
relates to SIP UAs registered with Asterisk, not those registered with SER.
- the article
http://openser.org/dokuwiki/doku.php/asterisk:realtime-integration doesn't
deal with MWI.
- the posting http://asterisk.mdaniel.net/?p=14 creates the msg<num>.txt
file on a remote Asterisk server and so is not relevant to my scenario.

Can anyone advise how they are sending SIP Notify messages from Asterisk to
SER for non-cached realtime SIP peers?

Regards

Cameron