[asterisk-users] Linux distro + Asterisk or Trixbox?

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Mon Dec 18 00:15:59 MST 2006

On Sunday 17 December 2006 10:47 pm, Andrew Joakimsen wrote:
> I've used Asterisk on a bunch of RH 7.3 machines which were then replaced
> by RHEL 4. It is very stable, my biggest compliant is that RHEL(or CentOS,
> which is a direct rip-off) uses outdated packages (Linux 2.4.x, Apache 1,
> Mysql 4, php 4, etc) and Linux 2.4.x requires certain USB hardware to use
> zaptel timing without a hardware card, so we have a bunch of these dual
> xeon machines with the wrong USB hardware and can only run MeetMe on the
> one with the t1 cards.

CentOS 4 was released May 2005 with a 2.6 kernel, Apache 2, and all other
similarly current packages. The current kernel is 2.6.9-something.

CentOS is a legal re-distribution of RHEL 4 rebuilt from source RPMs. Just
like Pie Box, White Box, Tao, Lineox, and all the other Red Hat clones.

--
Carla Schroder