[asterisk-users] ztmonitor displays full bar when idle

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sat Dec 16 14:54:16 MST 2006

On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 06:41:58PM -0800, Yuan LIU wrote:
> Hardware is an SM56 card (X100P clone).  When the line hangs up, ztmonitor
> displays full bar (or whatever maximum allowed by rxgain) in RX.  It only
> drops zero when the line picks up (and remote was silent).  Is this
> something of concern?  The zap channel seems to work despite echo.

When the line is on-hook, its contents is meaningless.

> Additionally, what's the objective of tuning with ztmonitor?  I mean, what
> would indicate an optimal level? (Because display of ztmonitor depends on
> the volume of the remote speaker - I'm using demo sounds from another
> Asterisk, how do I tell?)  Documents I see only mentioned RX, should I be
> concerned about TX?  What's a good indicator of an optimal txgain?

Its main added value is a clear separation between the transmit and
recieve channel: you can actually see the echo. But it's basically a
rather low-level tool and you should use the raw information it provides
you wisely. It's no silver bullet.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org