[asterisk-users] Ssh access over a zap channel...

Yuan LIU yliu11 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 14 15:11:42 MST 2006

>From: "Eric \"ManxPower\" Wieling" <eric at fnords.org>
[Goodies skipped]
>   -= Info about application 'ZapRAS' =-
>
>[Synopsis]
>Executes Zaptel ISDN RAS application
>
>[Description]
>   ZapRAS(args): Executes a RAS server using pppd on the given channel.
>The channel must be a clear channel (i.e. PRI source) and a Zaptel
>channel to be able to use this function (No modem emulation is included).

A side question: what's preventing Asterisk from emulating MODEM?

>From what I see, an X100P card is but a DSPless MODEM, and Asterisk includes
a DSP engine. (Effectively, a PRI interface can also be viewed as a DSPless
MODEM pool.)  So theoretically, combining these two functions should give us
MODEM capability, right?  Or maybe there is already such an application? (An
Asterisk dialup BBS, for old time's sake...)  In fact, Motorola does provide
a Linux driver for its SM56 soft MODEM's - well known X100P clones.  Can
Asterisk make use of Motorola's driver?

Yuan Liu