[asterisk-users] Annoying echo echo problem problem ...

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Wed Dec 13 09:29:22 MST 2006

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006, Wireless wrote:

> Hi Gordon
>
> I too have this problem with one of my two BT lines, very very annoying.  I
> was using a TDM400P and am now using a Sangoma A200 (lightning got the TDM),
> I think the sangoma is very slightly better (less echo) but I might just be
> kidding myself. Another think I've found it that using a faster CPU (now on
> a 450 P3 MMX) and compiling Zaptel for mmx helps a little too.

Hm. Interesting. The CPU is a VIA C3/1GHz unit. (fanless, boots off flash, a no
moving parts solution) It has limited MMX instructions though, and requires
Zaptel to be compiled for an i586. However, I've not noticed any performance
issues with it.

We've actually reported it to BT as a fault (the line fails a quiet line test
anyway - with a background hiss and ticking)

So it's still a bit of a mistery!

> The other problem I have is reliable CLID, sangoma and Myphonecall have been
> very helpful but still no 100% fix :(

I seem to get CID through OK on BT lines. I'm still battling with a Telewest
line though, but I've a feeling theyuse Bell signalling. What annoys me is that
a bog-standard DECT phone with CID diaply works perfectly on either a BT or
Teleworst line, but the * box fails to see anything other than a BT line..

I'm also using a GSM <-> analog gateway box, which passes CID in Bell format,
even though it has a UK phone socket, but * just doesn't see it
at all )-:

I'll let you know if BT find anything wrong with the line.

Thanks,

Gordon