[asterisk-users] CLI History

Anselm Martin Hoffmeister anselm at hoffmeister-online.de
Tue Dec 12 03:46:48 MST 2006

Am Montag, den 11.12.2006, 22:19 -0800 schrieb Luki:
> > thats prety smart...   think hard.. wot was the command u gave to exit
> > the CLI??
>
> OK, come on everyone. This is getting ridiculous. That's the entire
> point that "stop now" was NOT the last command on the CLI, yet it
> shows up at the most recent upon recall with the Up key. I have the
> same, except in my case it's stuck on "show channels" (which is rather
> convenient so I didn't complain). And yes, it doesn't matter if I exit
> the CLI with Ctrl+C or exit. In my case it's probably a permission
> issue since I run * non-root and chroot'ed.
>
> Either way, I don't see why the history could not be save upon exit
> with Ctrl+C -- the mySQL client does it.

Actually using "quit" the history is saved. That makes three more
keystrokes, but using Ctrl+C to end something gracefully just makes me
shudder. I even do not like using that combination for CopyPaste
(preferring CtrlIns)...

I think a point has been made that having "stop now" in the history is
inconvenient for many people. My personal opinion is that NOT storing
the commands
- exit
- stop
- quit
in the history would improve its usability.

Getting Ctrl+D to work would help too. IIRC it boils down to catching
SIGHUP (instead of/additional to SIGINT for Ctrl+C).

I do not know wether those discussions have been had on the developers
list, so it could be worth to bring it to attention over there. The code
changes in question would expectedly be trivial; if there was some kind
of consensus (more complicated) someone e.g. me could do that.

(Following the old rule of OpenSource Feature Requests: If you want
something done, best offer to do it yourself... :-)

Best Regards,

Anselm