[asterisk-users] Re: Recommendations for QoS, PoE Switches

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Mon Dec 11 06:12:45 MST 2006

ZZ> Switches should be Layer 2 or Layer 3, and what's the difference.

You really should hire someone to do the design.

ZZ> Another question I have is about 10/100/1000 Mbps. In a standard
ZZ> switch, ports don't actually work at 100 Mbps.

They don't? Perhaps you are referring to the bad old days when
switches didn't have enough backplane bandwidth to sustain full speed
on all ports. Those days are fortunately (almost) over.

ZZ> But in a Netvanta grade switch, do all the ports work at 100 Mbps
ZZ> at all the times, or do they come down to 10 Mbps?

Even if a switch gets overloaded, it doesn't switch port speed. It
just drops packets.

/Benny