[asterisk-users] Question on retrieve_file() function in app_voicemail.c

Anselm Martin Hoffmeister anselm at hoffmeister-online.de
Sun Dec 10 17:58:23 MST 2006

Am Sonntag, den 10.12.2006, 14:54 -0800 schrieb jezzzz .:
> It's interesting, I went through the
> play_message_callerid function, and while it does use
> the caller ID that is parsed from the meta-data file,
> it does not use the name at any point. It will only
> say the name if it was previously recorded and is
> stored in Asterisk. So if you're calling from outside
> the context of the person you're calling and you added
> your name, it will never be played. Maybe this name is
> used with ADSI to show on a phone's display.

The name will be shown in the email message, which is "a good thing"(tm)

One of my voicemail email messages:
====
Es wurde eine VoiceMail fuer Anselm Martin Hoffmeister hinterlassen:
Anrufer: "Anselm Martin Hoffmeister" <201>
Datum  : Monday, 11 December 2006 at 01:51:37
Dauer  : 0:06
====

Although localized, it obviously contains both CALLERID(name) and
CALLERID(num) in the "Anrufer:" (Caller:) line. I called my own voicebox
for demo purpose, that is why my name also appears in "Someone left a
message for $PERSON".

Text to speech is quite acceptable nowadays, most texts yield something
a human listener can understand. This does not hold true for names,
because general pronounciation rules do rarely apply here. Trust me: My
first name will be pronounced incorrectly by most non-Germans, and even
here some people manage to screw ;)

Best regards & good night
Anselm