[asterisk-users] any possibility of Vonage Integration

cb cb at mythtech.net
Wed Dec 6 06:43:41 MST 2006

On Dec 6, 2006, at 8:13 AM, Paul wrote:

> Also, I should have mentioned that many of these providers advertise
> "business" plans on their website. How can anyone honestly advertise
> phone, fax, email hosting, web hosting, etc. to the business community
> without 24/7 support?

People should also keep in mind what is the definition of "24/7"
support.

Even the big telcos only offer a limited amount of 24/7 support. I
have dealt with business accounts with MCI (ne: WorldCom, ne: LDDS)
for eons, as well as Verizon (ne: Bell Atlantic) and GTE (before and
after becoming part of Verizon), and SBC (ne: PacBell). In all of the
above cases, yes, they have a 24/7 support line, but when it comes to
actually fixing and addressing problems, unless it was a simple
issue, it waited until the next business day to actually be worked on
(save for physical line problems, then Saturday was an available day
as well).

But any after 5pm support (or often 3:30-4:00 on Friday's for
Verizon), you could call and get your trouble ticket opened, but
don't expect anything to be resolved until some time after 8am on the
next day. In fact, I often could get residential non business issues
addressed after hours faster and easier then business issues. Once
the business office closed for the day, support for business problems
all but stopped until they opened again.

So going with anyone over someone else because of 24/7 support, you
need to find out what kind of support you really get after hours. If
you are just going to get someone that can take your call, tell you
"why yes, that is a problem, here is your ticket number, they will
work on it in the morning", then are you really gaining anything over
going with someone that only offers 9-5 support?

Personally, my criteria for picking someone for business use isn't if
they offer 24/7 support, but rather how reliable are they in the
first place. I don't care that much about 24/7 support, because I
want someone who I will never have to find out what support hours
they offer :-)

-chris
<www.mythtech.net>