[asterisk-users] Asterisk freezes when DNS not working: a BUG??

Anselm Martin Hoffmeister anselm at hoffmeister-online.de
Wed Dec 6 02:56:01 MST 2006

Am Mittwoch, den 06.12.2006, 10:43 +0100 schrieb Giorgio Incantalupo:
> Hi,
> I'm using Asterisk 1.2.9.1. I have big problem with SIP VoIP providers
> registrations: Asterisk freezes when it cannot (re-)register with VoIP
> provider (registration timeout). The problem is related to DNS names
> resolution: if DNS server is very slow to respond Asterisk stops every
> activity (no zap or restart commands on CLI). The bad news is VoIP
> providers usually do not give their IP so I cannot use it.

They usually do not give their IP adresses with reason. You could of
course look those IPs up and enter the address instead of the name, but
the nice thing about DNS is that the provider can hook a second machine,
with another address, and change the DNS to move the SIP target for all
their users. They could also use round-robbing for multiple machines or
whatever - features you will not get if you set an ip in your
configuration.

If you do not see a way to get around it, try setting the IP in
the /etc/hosts file. That is ugly, for the reasons mentioned, but it
would keep DNS from timing out.

BR
Anselm