[asterisk-users] Attended Transfer

Eric "ManxPower" Wieling eric at fnords.org
Tue Dec 5 19:07:42 MST 2006

Arlen Nascimento wrote:
> Henry, according with voip-info.org, attended transfer is
> "While on conversation with another party, you dial the atxfer key
> sequence. Asterisk says "Transfer" then gives you a dial tone, while
> putting the other party on hold. You dial the transferee number and
> talk with the transferee to introduce the call, then you can hang up
> and the other party will be connected with the transferee. In case the
> transferee does not want to answer the call, he/she simply hangs up
> and you will be back to your original conversation."
> The callee is put on hold "automatically"
>
> Eric, attended transfer is only possible with an ATA??

Attended transfer is supported by every decent SIP device out there.  It
is a basic phone feature.  There are a few SIP devices out there that do
NOT support attended transfer but I would not call them "decent."  The
GS BT101 and the FREE version of X-Ten's phone are both devices that do
not support attended transfer.

There are a couple of reasons to want to do "DTMF Transfers" (configured
in Asterisk via /etc/asterisk/features.conf.  One reason might be that
you are stuck, for some reason, with a phone that does not support
attended transfer.  Another reason would be if you have several
different types of phones and ATAs around and do not want to make users
learn different ways to do a transfer, depending on the phone the person
is using at the moment.  Another reason, and one I think is the most
common, is that you simply don't know any better.