[asterisk-users] G729 Passthru?

Don Pobanz dpobanz at hastingsutilities.com
Sun Dec 3 20:35:09 MST 2006

>I think you do need to buy the G729 for each call. If your >system is using anything other than G729.

True, you only need a CODEC if your system is using
anything other than G729. In that case you would
only be using pass through.

Only if you are COding or DECoding do you need a CODEC.
For G729 SIP phones, or G729 carriers asterisk will
not do any coding or decoding and you do not need a
G729 CODEC.

>>A related issue is whether I can pre-encode recorded
>>audio files with a G729 codec. So the server can send
>>"wakeup call" messages to the SIP carrier without
>>running the codec at call time, just sending the
>>pre-encoded media to the SIP carrier.

You should be able to, though I couldn't tell you how.

Don Pobanz