[asterisk-users] G729 Passthru?

Matthew Rubenstein email at mattruby.com
Sun Dec 3 17:05:25 MST 2006

	I have a SIP carrier which accepts only G729 connections from my
Asterisk server. If all the server does is Dial() (out) two legs of a
call which are natively bridged, with no processing the media (and no
DTMF detection, etc), do I need to install a G729 codec of my own? All
the media from each leg connected to the other is already encoded into
G729 by the SIP carrier from which it's coming for feeding back to the
SIP carrier. Does that "loopback" work without a G729 codec on the
server? If not, what would the codec actually do with the data it gets?

	A related issue is whether I can pre-encode recorded audio files with a
G729 codec. So the server can send "wakeup call" messages to the SIP
carrier without running the codec at call time, just sending the
pre-encoded media to the SIP carrier.
--

(C) Matthew Rubenstein