[asterisk-users] Interesting CALLERID behavior

Damon Estep damon at suburbanbroadband.net
Fri Dec 1 16:43:21 MST 2006

Caller ID should always be either ANI + CNAM (where available) on
inbound, or "anonymous" (No ANI).

If you are getting anything different from your Telco something is
wrong.

For SIP originated calls the CID is derived from the INVITE

Outbound caller ID is as you set it in your peer/user config. Name is
useless for calls handed to the PSTN over PRI or other digital TDM
interfaces since CNAM is looked up at the terminating end, not sent in
the signaling. Only the ANI is passed form you to the telco.

Unless you use 10 digit extensions, you have to specify callerid= for
each of your extensions.

If you are getting "asterisk" it is because the channels that originated
the calls have no callerid= in their config