[asterisk-users] Recommendation for FXO

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Fri Dec 1 11:23:46 MST 2006

I have an spa3000 and in general it is OK. I have the echo at acceptable
levels and often non-existent. The big grip is the failed rfc-2833. BUT it
might be more the fault of Asterisk - See

http://forum.voxilla.com/linksys-sipura-spa-users-group/dtmf-rfc2833-incompatibility-between-spa3000-asterisk-12306.html

and my previous (today) message to this list on spa3k

So other (external) devices may also not play well because of this
problem. Digium it seems is not real excited to do anything about this as
it is not an issue with their internal hardware and also 1.2.x is not on
the front burner with 1.4 out. 1.4 wwith it's complete rewrite of rtp code
might solve this issue. It is not clear as I have not seen an answer to my
previous question on that.

See...

http://www.voipsupply.com/index.php?cPath=96

for a listing of the external ata's. Grandstream has one, as does linksys
and others. I think they all have some issue. It is just picking the one
that has the least or the most bearable for you. Unfortunately this may
not become apparent until you get it and use it.

I too would be interested in trying another fxo/fxs as my only experience
is with Sipura.

Doug

On Fri, 1 Dec 2006, Martin Joseph wrote:

> Ok,
>
> I am back from my thanksgiving holiday,  and I find there was a big
> snow storm here in Seattle.  Apparently during the storm there where
> multiple brown out/black outs.
>
> I have struggled since day one to get a high quality PSTN gateway
> configured with my very long loop and Mac based asterisk.
>
> I originally tried the HT-488, which had multiple issues, and was
> unacceptable.  I then purchased the wellgate 3701a, which was much
> better, but lacked ANY support from the manufacturer, and had some
> other semi-minor problems (rfc2833 didn't work, never got caller id
> working, etc.).
>
> Now the power problems seems to have done something bad to the PSTN
> gateway, as it appears to be up and running,  but the gains are really
> whacked, and it's almost impossible to conduct a call through at this
> point.
>
> I tried hooking a handset directly to the PSTN line and that sounds fine.
>
> So,  I would like to purchase another PSTN gateway which WORKS WELL
> with asterisk.  I need it to hook up via ethernet, since my platform of
> choice (mac OSX) has no PCI card support.  I only have one PSTN line,
> and already have other ATA's for FXSs, so I really only need one FXO
> port, although I realize there is no such animal.
>
> Any positive experiences with FXO gateways that connect via ethernet?
> Especially with a long loop/echo issues (ie not SPA3000)?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Marty
>
> PS I am ready to spend to buy something quality.

"Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *
* doug at crompton.com        *