[asterisk-users] Recommendation for FXO

Martin Joseph ast at stillnewt.org
Fri Dec 1 10:45:00 MST 2006

Ok,

I am back from my thanksgiving holiday,  and I find there was a big
snow storm here in Seattle.  Apparently during the storm there where
multiple brown out/black outs.

I have struggled since day one to get a high quality PSTN gateway
configured with my very long loop and Mac based asterisk.

I originally tried the HT-488, which had multiple issues, and was
unacceptable.  I then purchased the wellgate 3701a, which was much
better, but lacked ANY support from the manufacturer, and had some
other semi-minor problems (rfc2833 didn't work, never got caller id
working, etc.).

Now the power problems seems to have done something bad to the PSTN
gateway, as it appears to be up and running,  but the gains are really
whacked, and it's almost impossible to conduct a call through at this
point.

I tried hooking a handset directly to the PSTN line and that sounds fine.

So,  I would like to purchase another PSTN gateway which WORKS WELL
with asterisk.  I need it to hook up via ethernet, since my platform of
choice (mac OSX) has no PCI card support.  I only have one PSTN line,
and already have other ATA's for FXSs, so I really only need one FXO
port, although I realize there is no such animal.

Any positive experiences with FXO gateways that connect via ethernet?
Especially with a long loop/echo issues (ie not SPA3000)?

Thanks in advance.
Marty

PS I am ready to spend to buy something quality.