[asterisk-users] Cisco IAXmodem HylaFAX

Alberto Pastore alberto at msoft-italia.com
Fri Dec 1 06:34:48 MST 2006

xneptuno at netcabo.pt ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question:
>
> In my company a have a 100% IP Telephony implemented (Cisco Phones, Routers,
> Switches, etc).
> We are connected to our operator by two E1 lines. The PBX is on operator
> side (a H.323 Gateway is configured on call manager).
>
> I study the possibility to implement a Hylafax server. In some sites I read
> that with the IAXmodem is possible to have virtual modems, with don't so buy
> voip-fax-gateway or an expensive modem card with many channels.
>
> The how-to that I read is with Asterix. Is possible to use a HylaFax Server
> with IAXmodem and configure to work with Cisco Call Manager?
>
> Bests Regards,

Theoretically... yes.
In practice... good luck.

I haven't tried T38 so far, but passing through
g711 a/u-law from the remote side to hylafax makes
nine fax transmissions out of ten to fail handshake.

I have this:

ISDN --> cisco 2811 --(sip)--> asterisk --(iax)-->
iaxmodem --(ttydevice)--> hylafax/faxgetty

(consider that iaxmodem is running on the same asterisk
host, beign connected on "127.0.0.1" as a iax2 peer)

It simply does not work, no matter how you set
qos, precedence, priority, etc...
It's really too easy for T30 frames to go out of sync.

I would not recommend to spend even a single minute trying
to set that up, I believe it's highly unreliable.

Alberto.