[asterisk-users] HP ProLiant and Digium 24xxp

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Thu Aug 31 06:37:55 MST 2006

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Robert Roach wrote:
>> I have a customer request to deploy an HP rack server (ProLiant DL
>> series) as the base system for an Asterisk install.  They also want to
>> use the Digium 24xxp card.  I have heard that the Digium card is
>> oversized and does not fit in a normal size chassis.  Does anyone know
>> if it will fit in the ProLiant chassis, or have a recommendation on
>> another HP box to use?
>
> This is incorrect. Nobody (including Digium) makes 'oversized' PCI
> cards, because there are no chassis in the world they would ever fit in.
>
> However, it is true that the TDM2400P is the maximum possible size of a
> PCI card, both full-length and full-height. In addition, it requires a
> standard hard-drive power connector (Molex) to supply 12V power if any
> FXS modules are used, which are often hard (or impossible) to find in a
> 1U or 2U rack-mount server. There are some available, though, and
> shortly Digium will have an external power solution available for the
> TDM400P and TDM2400P cards.

The issue is not the TDM2400 is over sized, but rather some PC hardware
vendors assuming no one ever uses full sized cards anymore. Lots of
systems have crowded fixed drive bays and other stuff into their cases
that preclude using full sized cards (from any source, not just the
TDM2400). And as Kevin just mentioned, they also assumed there will
never be a need for a Molex power connector in the pci bus area of the box.