[asterisk-users] Asterisk codec strangeness

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at ykoz.net
Tue Aug 29 13:31:26 MST 2006

Jean-Michel Hiver a écrit :

> Hi All,
>
> I have two peers (call then peerA and peerB) on my server, both can
> accept g711, g729 and g723. However, when peerA initiates a request,
> asterisk decides to transcode g729 into ulaw when peerB could very
> well use g729...
>
> This behavior isn't very scalable (transcoding is CPU expensive) and
> also it's better to minimize the amount of transcoding wherever
> possible. Is there a way I can fix this?
>
> NB: if i set disallow = all and allow=g729 on peerB it all works fine,
> but then if peerA decides to send ulaw I'm transcoding again...

Okay, I have digged the archives a bit, and apparently I'm not the only
one having this problem. I am thinking of maybe sorting out this problem
by having:

[peerA-g711]
type=peer
host=123.123.123.123
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
allow=alaw

[peerA-g729]
type=peer
host=123.123.123.123
disallow=all
allow=g729

[peerA-g723]
type=peer
host=123.123.123.123
disallow=all
allow=g723

And then using ${SIP_CODEC} to route the call correctly maybe?

I don't think having multiple peers with the same IP address would be a
big deal for outgoing calls, but asterisk will probably we confused for
incoming calls from 123.123.123.123... what do you think?

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.