[asterisk-users] Asterisk codec strangeness

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at ykoz.net
Tue Aug 29 06:12:14 MST 2006

Hi All,

I have two peers (call then peerA and peerB) on my server, both can
accept g711, g729 and g723. However, when peerA initiates a request,
asterisk decides to transcode g729 into ulaw when peerB could very well
use g729...

This behavior isn't very scalable (transcoding is CPU expensive) and
also it's better to minimize the amount of transcoding wherever
possible. Is there a way I can fix this?

NB: if i set disallow = all and allow=g729 on peerB it all works fine,
but then if peerA decides to send ulaw I'm transcoding again...

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.