[asterisk-users] Detect if cell phone or users

Michiel van Baak michiel at vanbaak.info
Tue Aug 29 13:00:22 MST 2006

On 13:56, Tue 29 Aug 06, Jay Milk wrote:
> I don't think there's any authority in North America that tells you
> whether a number is a cellular number.
>
> However, it's conceivable you could write a script to access information
> available on, for example, www.telcodata.us, and check the prefix-type
> for a given phone number.  The prefix type for all known (to me)
> wireless numbers is, in fact, "WIRELESS" -- you can't pay too much
> attention to the company given on that site, as WLNP makes this
> information quite superfluous.  Keep in mind that LNP in general will
> make this information much less reliable than it used to be before LNP
> -- it's now possible to take your landline to a cell-phone and vice
> versa, so bets are off when it comes to that.

hhmm, I wonder how long it takes here for that to happen.
You cant turn a cell number into a landline nor viceversa.

Heck, most providers dont even like it when you install a
gsm gateway to call your coworkers for free with the
gateway.

So here it's pretty simple to know wether a call is to
landline or cell.
--
Michiel van Baak
michiel at vanbaak.eu