[asterisk-users] OT: Bandwidth calculations and PCI/PCIX/PCIE

Erick Perez eaperezh at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 12:03:10 MST 2006

I found this interesting but old white paper at Dell.com
<http://dell.com/>tech solutions and another one from INTEL.
It compares bandwidth usage of a PCI, PCI-X, PCI-E in 33/66/100/133 mhz bus
and different technologies that can saturate the bus.

It helped me understand the bandwidth required for TDM (sangoma/digium)
cards and how far can I push the PCI bus in an old and new motherboard.
I hope it help others to understand how much a network card can pump and
make calculations about consumptions in TDM cards.

make sure the link is a one-line in your browser
Original online document
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/vectors/en/2004_pciexpress?c=us&cs=08W&l=en&s=bsdv

here is the link to the same Dell article but in PDF form.
http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/vectors/2004_pciexpress.pdf

Another interesting document from INTEL
www.intel.com/technology/pciexpress/devnet/docs/WhatisPCIExpress.pdf

The facts learned from these documents are:
a- 3.3volts/32bit PCI cards can be used in PCI-X slots. (i just discovered
that, sorry for living under a rock)
b- The slowest PCI card in Mhz will dictate that PCI-X bus speed. So avoid
degradation by not installing a PCI card and a PCI-X card in the same bus
(check you motherboard design), your motherboard design usually have two
buses.
c- If you use a PCI-X based implementation motherboard, you will not
saturate the bandwidth of the board, using Quad or Octal port cards
(e1/t1/j1).

Erick Perez
Panama Sistemas
Integradores de Telefonia IP y Soluciones Para Centros de Datos
Panama, Republica de Panama
Cel Panama. +(507) 6694-4780