[asterisk-users] manual mods with GUI in place

Michael Collins mcollins at fcnetwork.com
Mon Aug 28 12:29:05 MST 2006

My question to everyone is this.....This is where I am at now. I have
been using FreePBX for about a year, after moving from A at H. I am
starting to need some manual changes and modules. My question is can
anyone point me in a direction on how to learn how to create these. I
read the O'Riley book and thumbed though some of the others, although I
plan on reading them all the way through as time permits. I guess my
question is where do I add these things. I would still like to use
FreePBX because it just saves a ton of coding but I want to add my own
things too. Do I put them in the *_additional configs (which appear to
be written over by freePBX), the .conf files or the features.conf? Any
web links with beginner how to's or more info on this would be
appreciated as well!

I didn't want to cross post ;)

Thanks

Curt

Curt,

First things first - I frequently use the FreePBX editor:

Logon to your system, then click FreePBX Administration > Tools > Config
Edit

You get a nice web-based page where you can bounce around to view and
edit all of your config files in /etc and /etc/asterisk

Occasionally I am at the Linux cmd line and I use vi, but that is rare.

As far as where to start adding your changes, my personal experience is
to use the extensions_custom.conf file.  This lets me keep "my stuff"
separate from the vanilla install.  However, I have made mods to the
actual AMP settings to suite my tastes and needs, and for this I did
modify extensions.conf.  (I keep a backup copy of all of my configs, as
I'm sure that most of the * users do.)  I've also created completely
separate conf files and #included them.  Again, this keeps things
organized.  You can use the #include directive with many of the conf
files - gurus, please add any known caveats as I've only used #include
for Zapata.conf, extension.conf and sip.conf.

As far as how-to's, again I can speak only from experience.  There are
many how-to's out there, but they are usually pretty specific, so you'll
probably want to decided WHAT, before you can find a HOW-TO.

HtH!

-MC