[asterisk-users] Remote CAPI - ISDN over TCP/IP

Daniel Matos dmatos at eddil.pt
Mon Aug 28 02:49:14 MST 2006

I posted about this a year or two ago:

Currently we can find Cisco 801 ISDN Routers on ebay for about 40 euro.
This equipment supports RCAPI (CAPI over TCP) Think of it as a
isdn-ethernet adapter.
There are other manufacturers who support this protocol in their ISDN
Devices. (AVM, Bintec, Draytek)

With the proper drivers you could give Asterisk an ISDN interface over a
TCP/IP Connection.

The problem is that altough the protocol exists for some years, there
isn't any known implementation of this idea integrated with asterisk.

One interesting use of this technology would be to be able to run
Asterisk completely independent from hardware (in a virtual machine for
example) while still supporting ISDN connectivity, using cheap, reliable
and easy to find ISDN "bridges" (Cisco 801's for example)

I know for sure that the protocol works, as I have some customers
sending and receiving faxes, using voice mail and ISDN soft-phones on
Windows, using RVS-COM.

However I haven't seen any linux implementation, and no one talking
about using it with asterisk.

Today I have found some specifications and code samples from bintec
(ftp://ftp.funkwerk-ec.com/pub/libcapi) that I hope someone with more
knowledge than me can use to evaluate the possibility.

Maybe we can start a bounty? I would gladly pay a reasonable amount for
a working asterisk-Cisco 801 solution.

Best Regards,
Daniel Matos