[asterisk-users] CentOS4.3 or Debian 3.1r2?

Russ Price kxt at fubegra.net
Fri Aug 25 17:34:12 MST 2006

shadowym wrote:

> I'm going to be doing a small production system soon using FreePBX, Sangoma
> A20004D 8FXO card, 3WARE 80062LP SATA card in RAID1.  I have been
> experimenting with CentOS4.3 and Debian Sarge (3.1r2).  They both seem to
> run well and I feel equally comfortable with both of them.  Anyone have an
> recommendations as to which one has the edge?
>
> I would really like to use Debian but with Trixbox using CentOS there seems
> to be more expertise and info online for that one.  What to do?!

IMO: use what you're most comfortable using.  I personally prefer the
Red Hat way of doing things, but I've used Debian and Ubuntu, and
they're both good distros in their own right.

The one (already well-known) gotcha with CentOS or RHEL 4 involves the
rwlock_t definition in the kernel headers, which affects the zaptel drivers.

As for Fedora (or Debian unstable, for that matter), I wouldn't
recommend it for a production server unless you desperately need to use
some bleeding-edge hardware that isn't supported under more stable distros.

	Russ