[asterisk-users] Basic Asterisk Setup

Martin Joseph ast at stillnewt.org
Thu Aug 24 18:48:53 MST 2006

On Jul 5, 2006, at 7:58 AM, K Y Iyer wrote:

> Hi

Hi!

> Am a bit confused about the basic requirements for a simple, small,
> test
> Asterisk setup.
There are many options...

> I want to setup a PBX with 8 PSTN lines and 50 extensions.  For
> argument's sake we'll assume all 50 extensions and 8 PSTN lines
> could be
> active at some point in the day.
>
> What kind of hardware requires to be inside the Asterisk system for
> this?
This is a vague and unclear question.  You will need enough CPU power
to handle whatever system design you choose.  There are internal
cards (PCI) that could hook up the PSTN lines for you, or you could
use external hardware (gateway) for that.

> I understand that the client end will be IP - so no hardware required
> for this.
OK.

> I can purchase Sangoma in India - I am sure - maybe even Dialogic.
>
> I am totally confused about FXSs and FXOs.
FXS's hook to phone hand sets (old school type).  FXOs hook to PSTN
lines.  Your above description needs 8 FXO's and NO FXSs, presuming
you use IP phones as extensions.

Hope this helps.
Marty