[asterisk-users] Calls over VPN

Chris Teesdale cjt at philips.org.uk
Wed Aug 23 02:57:15 MST 2006

VPN's as General rule work very well compared to NAT Translation.  I
have two remote offices with 5 Grandstream GXP2000 SIP Phones in each
both with 1Mbit SDSL. I use Juniper Netscreen 5GT's to handle the
interoffice VPN's using Route Based VPN.  One thing I have noticed
however is you cannot have a space in the sip peer name i.e 'Chris
Teesdale' Would have to be 'ChrisTeesdale' for it too work.

Regards

Chris Teesdale
I.T. Development
Philips®
Tel : 01325 384394 ex 221
Email : cjt at philips.org.uk

On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 10:03 +0100, Simon Woodhead wrote:

> We've done this with OpenVPN and it works fine. I'd recommend that the
> VPN server is not on the same box as Asterisk. Stick it on a
> firewall/gateway box giving access to the network containing the
> Asterisk boxes behind it. This way the Asterisk box(es) is seeing
> normal unencrypted traffic and the VPN server(s) can be specified to
> meet the VPN requirement.
>

> On 8/23/06, Joseph <syscon at interbaun.com> wrote:
>
>         Is anybody making calls over VPN?  If so what is the "penalty"
>         as
>         encryption is involved.
>         I was planning to use VPN to register Sipura units to my local
>         asterisk
>         this way I don't have to deal with NAT issues.
>
>         --
>         #Joseph

IMPORTANT: This email and any attachments may be confidential and/or privileged. Everything is intended for use of the addressee only. If you are not the named addressee you must not disseminate, distribute or copy this email. If you receive this email in error please notify the sender by replying to this email or by telephoning (+44)(0)870 609 1554 then delete this message from your system. Philips Collection Services Ltd. ("Philips") routinely monitors the content of email sent and received on its network, to ensure compliance with its policies and procedures. Although Philips have taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email or any files attached to it, it cannot accept any responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or its attachments and advises you to carry out appropriate virus checks. Philips are not responsible for any changes made to the message after it has been sent nor any files attached to it after it w
 as sent. Emails that contain encrypted material, program files, are obscene, inflammatory, criminal, offensive, in breach of copyright, contain a virus or threat to computer systems, appear to be a threat to the company or in breach of company policy may be intercepted and/or deleted. Philips does not accept any liability for any statements made which are clearly the sender's own and not made on behalf of Philips.