[asterisk-users] Re: Zaptel install - Fedora Core 5

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Tue Aug 22 12:43:00 MST 2006

On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 11:16:38AM -0500, Rich Adamson wrote:
> Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> >>Why bother with the rpm's?
> >
> >Because you have some other programs on your system other than Asterisk.
> >
> >And because you want a reproducable build.
>
> Guess that depends a lot on personal objectives, styles, and whether
> asterisk code has been modified locally. Once the reproducable build is
> operational and one has to maintain the code, reproducable builds sort
> of go out the window (eg, customer/system A has a problem, but not
> customer B through Z).

The flip side to this is that only A will get the fix, and not B to Z.
This is why also we try to make sure things will be customizable at
run-time.
However, if you need to provide the same build to both system A and
system B, there's double work.

> Using the Branch SVN checkout approach always provides the most up to
> date code as opposed to replicating buggy stuff via rpms.

What's the problem of building an rpm vs. latest 1.2 / trunk? The only
issue is the existing patches. I posted a few monthes ago how to use an
'external' to get the debian/ directory from the pkg-voip repo nd build
a package directly from svn using svn-buildpackage. Pick your
branch/tag.

You may have a set of local changes you wish to maintain. The way of
rpm/deb is to maintain them as a set of patches.

One possible alternaitve is to try to use an Svk repository with the
Digium repo as an aside "upstream". It would still be a bit tricky.

Tzafrir Cohen         sip:tzafrir at local.xorcom.com
icq#16849755          iax:tzafrir at local.xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406          jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org
tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com     http://www.xorcom.com