[asterisk-users] Recent additions to the Digium Asteriskdevelopment team

Barzilai barcho at creacion.com.uy
Fri Aug 18 13:22:42 MST 2006

I like the gumball analogy.
I'm more awake today. I wasn't complaining last night, I was just
stating my criticism in an emphatic way :-)

As you say, Mark & Co just started writing a little soft PBX system to
"scratch their own itches" at the time.
Mark was so kind as to share it with the rest. The fact that it grew so
wildly fast (and made them very rich) shows that there was a GREAT NEED
for something like this.  The other side of the coin is that there's a
risk of becoming a Frankenstein system with lots of ugly patches and
configuration syntaxes with small variations and basically lines upon
lines of code where everybody adds something to scratch their own itch
in their own particular manner.

And 90% of Asterisk users like it. Probably they just want a quick and
dirty PBX to make cheap long distance calls over VoIP and a few
extensions within their company.

I'm not sure what improvements version 1.4 will bring (except for
having  graduated AEL2 into the "real AEL") but being a 1.x version it
can't bring architectural changes. I haven't looked at the code but I'm
sure it will be much better.

I checked out OpenPBX again today. They seem to have started with a lot
of enthusiasm and good ideas but they are going very slowly and I'm not
sure they are differing much from Asterisk's architecture after all.
I also took a look at Freeswitch. Now, here's a guy who knows software
engineering!!! I'm afraid it's still too new and featureless to be of
any competence to Asterisk... but who knows in a few months...

I'd love to help with the coding but at the moment I'm too busy... I
wish I were like that X-Men guy who replicates himself, then my third
clone would be the Asterisk clone!

BarZ