[asterisk-users] Recent additions to the Digium Asteriskdevelopment team

Michael Collins mcollins at fcnetwork.com
Fri Aug 18 12:38:43 MST 2006

>  Asterisk is what you make of it. If you don't want certain
> applications to run on a certain instance/machine then you should
> "noload" them in modules.conf.

Barzilai still has a point.  Noloading various applications doesn't
address the underlying architectural issues.  The fact of the matter is
that Asterisk has grown quickly and therefore many features have been
attached like the proverbial gumball getting bigger and bigger.

The improvements from 1.0.x to 1.2.x were significant and hopefully the
jump to 1.4.x will be equally significant.  However, the needs that
Asterisk fills today are broader and more complex than they were just a
few years ago.  It was impossible for Mark & Co. to predict everything
that Asterisk could possibly do, so they couldn't necessarily engineer
the system with all of those things in mind.  Now that we have several
years' experience and thousands of Asterisk systems in production there
is a clearer picture of the needs to be fulfilled - the "itches" that
Asterisk scratches, as the TFOT book puts it.

I for one hope that Asterisk 2.0 isn't too far off in the future.  I'd
love to see it redesigned and re-engineered from the ground up, taking
into consideration the many years of experience garnered by the Asterisk
community.  (Disclaimer: this is NOT a complaint!  I love Asterisk and I
just want it to be even better than it already is.)

Having new development team members is definitely a good thing.  I'm
looking forward to 1.4 and more.

-MC