[asterisk-users] Challenging problem regarding CallerID in TDM 04B (Trying to solve since 8 days)

Leo Ann Boon leo at datvoiz.com
Fri Aug 18 02:52:46 MST 2006

Please see my response in-line.

Crazy Boy wrote:
> Hi Leo,
>
> Thank you for your response. I am answering for your questions.
>
> Q) As El mentioned - did you actually subscribe for callerid? Most
> telcos will charge it as a VAS(Value Added Service).
> Ans) Yes. You are right. I have already subscribed for callerid and
> tested with an analog phone with callerid instrument.
>
> Q) Check the format of the Caller ID provided by your telco - bell,v23
> or dtmf?
> Ans) I dont know how to check my caller id format provided by our
> provider. Can you please explain how to check my caller id format?
You have to ask your provider or check with your local regulator. From
your error log, I'm fairly certain Asterisk is not detecting the
caller-id. So, it's either its not sent by the telco or it's in the
wrong format. US uses the bell format, UK and many Commonwealth
countries use v23 while some European countries use DTMF. I'm not
familar with India, but I think it's not bell (Asterisk's default).

> Q) Check when is Caller ID sent, in some places it's between 1st and
> 2nd. Other between 2nd and 3rd. You need to Wait(?) as El suggested to
> wait for it to be sent.
> Ans) As you said, I put the Wait(4) statement in extensions.conf file
> in [incoming] context. But, callerid is not displaying.
>
> Q) Is there any reason you're using US tones instead of India?
> Ans) No reason. Is there any effect  on getting callerid, if i use
> like this.
It's not important for caller id, but may create other issues like hangup.

> Q) Is your line really a kewlstart line? I think it should more likely
> be loopstart.
> Ans) Frankly, I dont know what is kewlstart? Can you please tell me.

Please see this
http://ourproject.org/docman/view.php/116/144/faq.html#TDM%20&%20Analog_1
kewlstart is pretty much exclusive to Asterisk (and some channel banks)
to provide disconnect supervision. For telco analog lines, it's usually
loopstart or groundstart. kewlstart is based on loopstart so you should
be able to place and receive calls, but you'll run into other issues.

Word of advice: Please get hold of a copy of your local
telecommunication signaling standards. Without that, it's like
navigating a ship in the dark without a map.

Regards.

Leo