[asterisk-users] valgrind + Asterisk

yusuf yusuf at ecntelecoms.com
Thu Aug 17 06:15:14 MST 2006

Hi,

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 02:37:52PM +0200, yusuf wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>has anybody got valgring to work with asterisk
>

> Yes
>

>>i do a
>>-- valgrind --tool=memcheck -v asterisk -cvvvvvvvv
>>
>>then Asterisk just dies.
>

> What version of asterisk? Did you use any special build options to build
> it?

asterisk 1.2.1
I went into asterisk source and did a 'make valgrind'

>>The problem I have is that on the box I have Asterisk running, the memory
>>is reported as being used up, then when there is liitle ram left, the box
>>just hangs.
>

> What do you mean?

Asterisk has just hung now. When I go asterisk -rvvv i only get

Created by Mark Spencer <markster at digium.com>
Asterisk comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; type 'show warranty' for details.
This is free software, with components licensed under the GNU General Public
License version 2 and other licenses; you are welcome to redistribute it under
certain conditions. Type 'show license' for details.

even a killall asterisk does not help.

Mem:       1035276     320380     714896          0      61272     190624
-/+ buffers/cache:      68484     966792
Swap:      2096472          0    2096472

> tzafrir at frenkel:~$ free
> Mem:        237124     231096       6028          0     35700      36992
> -/+ buffers/cache:     158404      78720
> Swap:       976744      69024     907720
>
> This box aparantly has only 6028kb availble. However if you ignore
> memory that the kernel temporarily uses for its own optimizations
> (buffering and such) it actually has almost 78720 kb free.
>

>> So Asterisk might have a memory leak, and I am trying to find
>>it.
>

> To debug memory allocations, build asterisk with memory debugging.
> Probably a lot less overhead than valgrind. Look for "astmm".

thanks, I will try this  :)

--
thanks,
yusuf