[asterisk-users] Recent additions to the DigiumAsterisk development team

Rushowr rushowr at phreaker.net
Wed Aug 16 18:53:49 MST 2006

Just in case Murf doesn't get around to answering this one, I'll stab it...

For one thing, I can code in a style that is similar to many programming
languages, which can reduce the learning curve for many people, and
personally I think it makes the code MORE readable because If statements
follow a structure familiar to me and many others. Additionally, I
personally think it's a little more manageable and have had clients remark
on this as well after I show them comparable code from AEL2 and the
traditional Asterisk DP code.

As to your question about what can AEL do that an AGI/FastAGI app can't?
I'll name the number one and number two items on my list:
	AEL doesn't require calling an external application
	AEL doesn't use an interpreted language such as PHP or Perl, both of
which seem to be the languages of choice for most of you cats out there
writing AGIs.

AGI+Perl and AGI+PHP take a double performance hit compared to anything
written purely in the dialplan, because an interface has to be opened
between the two apps, control is passed back and forth, and the interpreter
has to run against the script. AEL2 is pre-parsed by the AEL2 compiler and
converted into Asterisk dialplan code when loaded into the system, not "just
in time".

Anywho, that's just my two cents...

Sherwood McGowan
Consultant, AEL2 Zealot