[asterisk-users] Recent additions to the Digium Asterisk development team

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at ykoz.net
Wed Aug 16 17:02:15 MST 2006

>Steve Murphy joined our development team at the beginning of June. Steve (murf on IRC/Mantis) had rewritten Asterisk's expression parser and the AEL language parser as a volunteer community member, along with various other bug fixes and improvements.

Which makes me think, what is the real use of AEL. I have taken a look
at it, and it makes asterisk's config file almost as unreadable as SER.

What exactly does AEL do that a well written AGI / FastAGI app doesn't?

I would think (but I'm surely wrong) that it would be better to do work
on  having well defined APIs that allow us to script Asterisk (such as
AGI and the Manager interface) rather than invent Yet Another Pseudo
Programming Language - which is going to be an endless task... Don't you
think?

That being said, just like the rest of the community, I'm very happy
with Kevin's exciting announcement!

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.