[asterisk-users] Server Hardware

Joe Dennick joe at dennick.net
Wed Aug 16 08:16:28 MST 2006

I've had an HP Proliant DL-360 G2 (Pentium IV - 3 GHz with 1 GB memory)
in production for a couple of years with 20 Cisco phones and a single
T-1. The load is generally nill. I've never seen the load over 1.0, its
usually more like 0.1. It is also recording (in WAV format) all inbound
calls for several of the extensions. I believe you will find that most
of the modern server equipment you purchase will be more than sufficient
to handle your needs.

However, if you are serious about using 4 T-1s, I would look to use two
servers (for redundancy) and have the VoIP phones dual-register to both
servers. To make the configurations easy, you could use Realtime in a
MySQL database either on a cluster or on another server. The whole point
is to eleminate single points of failure.

Good luck and have fun!

Joe