[asterisk-users] Manager Interface API's

Moises Silva moises.silva at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 10:41:19 MST 2006

On 8/15/06, John Novack <jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org> wrote:
> I, for one, didn't take his comment as anything other than constructive
Yes, I agree is possible just lack of "niceness". But may be you dont
have idea of the bunch of peyorative comments about IAX2 protocol he
made in asterisk-dev list without doing a good proposal.

> Lack of documentation is an issue, open source or not.
Is an issue, but at least for me, it seems that just complaining,
without a good proposal, is just worse. And in fact is not an issue
for those who can really understand the code. So, if its an issue for
you, pay someone to do it, or doit yourself. The difference between
open source, and the others, is that for open source usually you dont
pay, for the commercial software, of course i would be expecting
documentation.

> It is an unfortunate situation that many very smart coders understand
> what they have created, but are unwilling or unable to supply enough
> information for many others to make effective use of their creation

That is because THEY DONT CARE, they are putting you one or more steps
forward in the *right* direction, is not they responsability to
provide documentation, as I said, they provide code AS IS, in the hope
that will be usefull to someone with enough skills to understand the
code. And also, hopefully, some one else will create the
documentation, or even the developer, when he/she has the free time.
But always remember, they are giving for FREE their time. So the
better we can do is ask kindly for documentation.

> How many have struggled through the years with uncommented or poorly
> commented code when the original creator is off to greener pastures?
Then, why dont you make it better? Open Source should be a community
effort, not just developers efforts. I agree that the best person to
document what the code does is the developer him/her self, but, again,
is not responsible for doing so, since no one of us are paying for it.

-- moy
"Su nombre es GNU/Linux, no solamente Linux, mas info en http://www.gnu.org"