[asterisk-users] Manager Interface API's

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Tue Aug 15 10:25:25 MST 2006

John Novack wrote:
> I, for one, didn't take his comment as anything other than constructive
> Lack of documentation is an issue, open source or not.
> It is an unfortunate situation that many very smart coders understand
> what they have created, but are unwilling or unable to supply enough
> information for many others to make effective use of their creation
> How many have struggled through the years with uncommented or poorly
> commented code when the original creator is off to greener pastures?

I have struggled like that on a great number of occasions, and know
perfectly what you are describing.

But I don't think it's fair to "blame" people in the Open Source
community for not doing pro-grade documentation.  They give away what
they write; if it's useful, all good.  If not, then buy a commercial
product, or move to another OS product that has better documentation.

Especially in this case, where the overwhelming likelihood is that the
programmers wrote the APIs primarily for their own use, I don't think
it's fair to be casting Garstangian aspersions.  Those APIs aren't big
public projects, but rather labors of love that don't have the kind of
support staff to handle a robust public face.

MO.

B.

believed to be clean.