[asterisk-users] Sending SIP 183 Session Progressing

Michael J. Tubby B.Sc (Hons) G8TIC mike.tubby at thorcom.co.uk
Tue Aug 15 08:30:17 MST 2006

Dinesh,

I suspect your problem is with the softphone implementation...

I have an Asterisk PBX setup with ISDN (chan_capi) and use Cisco 7960 phones
with Cisci SIP 7.5 firmware and get to watch the various SIP messages in/out
on the phone.

Depending on the phone numbers I dial (and the signalling back from the ISDN
exchange) I get 100 -> 183 -> 180 or 100 -> 180

In both cases the Cisco plays our ringing on receipt of the 180.

Occasionally calls which go from 100 -> 180 without going via the 183 result
in the Cisco ringing and combined rining genrated by the telephone exchange
which is weird but ok.

I have also encountered (rarely) ISDN number which, when dialled from 100 ->
183 -> Connected without a ringing phase - these call result in silence at
the Cisco phone followed by connected audio (from the far end) - which is to
be expected.

Mike